This Dutch-style apple cake gets a serious upgrade with our Zesty Speculaas blend! The spiced apples take the cake to another level. We’ll never go back to cinnamon again!
2 tbsp unseasoned bread crumbs
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
2 Granny Smith apples
2 1/4 tsp Zesty Speculaas Spice Blend
4 tbsp unsalted butter at room temp, plus more for greasing the pan
1 large egg
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
2/3 cup half-and-half
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Butter a 9-inch springform pan and coat with the bread crumbs.
2. Toss together the two sugars and Zesty Speculaas blend. Set aside.
3. Peel and core the apples, then slice one apple into 16 wedges. Combine the apple wedges and 1/3 cup of the sugar mixture in a bowl and toss to coat. Roughly dice the remaining apple and toss with 1/4 tsp of Speculaas Spice Blend.
4. Beat together the butter and the remaining sugar mixture on medium speed until light and fluffy, about two minutes. Add the egg and mix until combined. Reduce the speed to low and add the flour and baking powder. Slowly add the half-and-half, and mix until combined. Fold the diced apple into the batter.
5. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and spread evenly. Arrange the apple wedges fanned along the outer edge of the pan and place the remaining wedges in the center. Bake for 40 to 45 mins, or until the center is golden brown.
6. Remove from the oven to a wire rack to cool completely. Run a small offset spatula around the edges to release the cake from the pan and remove the springform. Sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar or drizzle with salted caramel.